Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, Northern Ireland

Our first day in Northern Ireland, we drove along the coast to hit a few tourist sites. One of Jonathan's co-workers told him about this amazing rope bridge. I was a little nervous to take the kids, but it was amazing.


It's quite a walk to get to the bridge, but it was worth it.



Here is the crew on our way to the bridge.




There were so many stairs to go down to get to the actual bridge.


Here is a side view of the bridge. It's difficult to get a good picture of it when you're right next to it.


They were pretty excited to make the walk over. The board is pretty narrow so it's definitely a single-file kind of thing.



This photo is almost the same as the previous one, but I wanted to sneak in a little more of the views.


The boys enjoyed doing a little exploring.


Do you see those cliff faces?!? The mama bear in me was freaking out a bit. Stunning views, though.


Kobe wanted to be the first to go over on the way back. He thought he was pretty cool.


Here's Grandpa waving on his way back over the bridge.


The stairs weren't quite as fun on the way back.

Next up--Giants Causeway. Hopefully I'll get those up before the week is over (wishful thinking--I know). It was a good day for sightseeing. Both were incredibly impressive locations. I'd have to say that this coastal area of Northern Ireland, of all of the places I've ever been, is the most beautiful.

5 comments:

Elder and Sister Mickelsen said...

Thanks for the tour of the bridge, since I "needed" to stay with sleeping Alyssa! Our trip was fantastic and the scenery indeed was breathtaking. We just spent some time remembering through our pictures! Looking forward to the next installment.

Richard and Emily said...

Absolutely beautiful! I want to travel someday... how long are you guys going to be living up that way? It wasn't a permanent move was it?

Ginger said...

Absolutely stunning! Thanks for posting about all your wonderful adventures!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Just looking at these pictures make my heart skip a beat--not sure I'd have the courage to walk across the bridge.

Looks absolutely gorgeous, though! What an amazing experience your family is having...

Kristi said...

Emily--No, the move isn't permanent. We'll be back in San Diego either this summer or the next. We're still debating.

Ginger-Thanks! It's been fun, but we definitely miss home.

Trish--I know, I was a little freaked out when I was thinking about crossing, but it really isn't as bad as it looks. It's difficult to see, but there is tons of netting around the bottom so there's really no way to fall off. I was second guessing letting my boys go until I saw that. :) We've been really fortunate to be able to travel. It's so much less expensive to travel to all of these places from Scotland than it would be from home. :)